Q & A

Home Forums Pruning & Dividing Transplanting Lantana

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Monrovia Expert Monrovia Expert 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

Karen

in 2012 I purchased several Lantana and Perennial Verbena “snowflurry” plants & planted in my backyard within a small mulched area. They did so well they have taken over and need to be divided & transplanted into another area. What’s the best time to do this & how do I go about divding them & planting them in a new area without destroying the beautiful plants?

Monrovia Expert
    Monrovia Expert
    Keymaster

Monrovia Answer:
    The best time to divide Lantana is in early spring, just before new growth emerges. Plants may also be divided in the fall. Dividing plants during the hot summer months is not suggested as plants and roots may become stressed. Perennial Lantana may be divided every two to three years.

Dividing: Cut back the plant to a manageable size and water well the day prior. Insert a sharp shovel 8 to 10 inches away from the base of the main stems, digging straight down and deeply into the soil. Gently rock the shovel back and forth to loosen the soil and roots. Repeat in a circular direction until you have dug around the circumference of the plant. Working your shovel down and under the root ball, gently rock to loosen the roots and lift the root ball carefully from the ground, keeping the soil as intact as possible. Divide the plant into several sections, each with at least 5 to 7 healthy stems or new shoots, along with an equal proportion of root mass. Gently pull the roots apart to loosen, or use shears to separate if needed.

Transplanting: Plant the newly divided lantana in a hole that is at least twice the width and slightly deeper than the root ball of the new division. Soil may be amended with planting compost and a slow-release fertilizer according to package directions. Make sure that amendments are evenly blended with your native soil. Plant so that the crown of the plant (where the main stems originate) is slightly above the finished soil level. Tamp lightly and water immediately.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.