Bartzella Itoh Peony
Paeonia (Intersectional hybrid) x 'Bartzella'
|Description||Very large, bright yellow double blossoms with a slight red center stain stand above the lush, dark green, deeply dissected foliage. Flowers have a pleasant, slightly spicy scent. An especially vigorous plant with sturdy flower stems that do not require staking. An herbaceous perennial.|
|Light||Full sun, Partial sun|
|Watering||Keep soil moist, but not soggy.|
|Mature Size||Quickly reaches 3 ft. tall and wide.|
|Care||Provide enriched, slightly acidic, well-drained, moist soil. Plant with crown slightly below soil level. Water deeply, regularly in first growing season to establish an extensive root system; reduce frequency once established. Apply an annual side dressing of organic compost. Remove spent blooms. Prune back foliage in the fall.|
|Lore||In 2012, the Hoard Historical Museum of Fort Atkinson in Jefferson County, Wisconsin dedicated the Roger F. and Sandra L. Anderson Peony Garden in honor of Roger's extensive work in peony hybridization. The garden contains a sizable number of Roger's peony cultivars (along with other plants donated by the Andersons) and purportedly holds the honor of featuring North America's largest public intersectional peony collection, as of 2012. Perhaps one of Roger's most recognized cultivars is 'Bartzella', with a remarkable and essentially perfect yellow bloom with a classic spicy fragrance.|
This Plant's Growing Zones: 4-9
We cannot currently ship this product to your zip code.
This plant may be available in these stores:
Due to the seasonal nature of plants, availability at your local garden center is not guaranteed. Give them a call before visiting.
Monrovia grows beautiful plants for every region
We have been pioneers and craftsmen in the art of growing plants for nearly
100 years. Since our founding in Southern California by Harry E. Rosedale, Sr.
in 1926, we have been absolutely dedicated and obsessed with quality.
We have been pioneers and craftsmen in the art of growing plants for nearly 100 years. Since our founding in Southern California by Harry E. Rosedale, Sr. in 1926, we have been absolutely dedicated and obsessed with quality.