Plant Health and Safety
Monrovia is committed to growing the healthiest plants and making a positive impact on the environment. We achieve this through growing practices based primarily on natural processes. Recently, as part of our continuous improvement process, we have reviewed our methods of pest management. News about bee health has prompted increased attention on neonicotinoids in particular. We are concerned about the health of our planet’s environment and take our commitment to stewardship seriously. We believe a healthy pollinator population is important to our environment, and grow thousands of plants to maintain habitats and food sources for pollinators. We approach the use of any chemicals by balancing three very important goals:
- Keeping humans safe
- Enhancing the health of our plants
- Reducing or eliminating any potential impact to non-harmful organisms, including bees, butterflies, and other pollinators
- Monitoring research about the health of bees and other pollinators.
- Increased sharing of IPM and beneficial insect techniques among our nurseries.
- Tracking pesticide used per nursery, and making a commitment to overall reductions in their use.
- Testing new, potentially safer pesticide products and methods as they become available.
- Continued dialogue with our customers, consumers, and stakeholder organizations on this issue.