Oasis Floral Foam Wreath Form (oasis forms soak up and hold water); size will depend on your door
6 – 8 Fresh eucalyptus tree branches (good substitutes are any pliable young branch such as willow)
10 – 12 Fresh SunBelievable™ Brown Eyed Girl Helianthus flowers
Green floral sheet moss (either fresh from a florist or bought dried in bags and soaked in water to plump up)
20-25 U-pins (1-1/2″ to 1-3/4″ length)
Green paddle florist wire
Steps: (Note–this can get messy and is best done outside!)
1. Fill sink with fresh water and plunge oasis form into water. Soak for at least one hour. The form will get heavy as it soaks up water.
2. If using dried moss, soak in warm water to reconstitute it.
3. Once everything is thoroughly soaked, place wreath form on a stable surface. If the form does not have a ready made hanger, you’ll need to construct one. Wrap the form using your paddle wire and finish with a sturdy loop.
4. Take handfuls of wet or fresh moss and place atop the wreath form using U-pins to hold in place. Continue to completely cover the top and sides (the moss helps hide the form, but also helps to hold moisture).
5. Begin to apply the leafy branches which will form a base for the sunflowers. Pin so they curve to fit the contours of the moss covered form.
6. Once you have the entire form covered in moss and leafy branches, cut stems of flowers to about 1″ long and insert them into the moss covered form. (Tip–this is even easier if you tie the stems to a toothpick or florist’s wired pick!)
7. Once complete, hang in a cool, sheltered, most-shady location. Check daily and ensure that the form is still heavy and wet. If necessary, fill a clean, new trash can lid with water, place undecorated side down, and soak until everything perks up.
That’s it! Thirty minutes and you’ll be in a sunshine state!