Ashley at The Gold Hive is a new mom and a budding gardener. Plus, she's an old hand at renovating her historic bungalow in sunny San Diego, CA (Zone 10). Equally interested in home improvements, sustainable living, and efficient home design. She reached out to us for plant ideas to make her garden design come to life.
Her vision called for a place where everyone could be nourished, body and soul. She wanted her daughter to find a rich landscape of sensory experiences. For the adults, a place to unwind with friends was key. And for the whole family, she wanted to provide fresh, home-grown fruits and veggies. She knew that pollinators were key to an abundant garden. She wanted to provide them with ample flowers and habitat in return.
Monrovia’s extensive collection of ornamental and edible plants gave her a full plant palette to play with.
Here’s what she selected to create her family’s earth-friendly garden of abundance:
“Space is at a premium in my backyard, but I knew fruiting vines would let me make the most of every inch. This combo has a male and female vine for cross pollination.”
“I grew up with a plum tree next door to my childhood home and remember eating buckets of the fruit during summer. I'm looking forward to my family (and neighbors!) enjoying plums, too.”
Learn More About Growing Edibles Confidently
- Find large, healthy, and thriving Monrovia plants at your local Monrovia retailer.
- Sign up for the Grow Beautifully newsletter to get first access to exclusive plants, new editions, live webinars, free digital guides, expert design advice, and gardening tips.
- 5 East Steps for Growing Grapes
- How to Grow Fig Trees
- Grow a Grill Garden
- Elevated Edible Landscape Design
- How to Grow Berries in Containers
- Ultimate Guide to Growing Berries
- How to Grow Blueberries in Pots
- How to Use Berries to Make a Beautiful Garden
- Keep Strawberries Fruiting in Late Summer
- Putting Container-Planted Berries to Bed